Saturday, October 16, 2010

I don't like Thursdays...

Or at least my body doesn't.  

Last Thursday I had an optic migraine which started when I walked past a fence through which the sun was shining as it rose.... like a strobe-light effect.  Gee, thanks - can't even enjoy a walk without a trigger!!  It laid me up for a couple of hours in bed, no major pain, just exhaustion.  And I had to have my hubby drive me to physio that afternoon because I still couldn't see straight.

This Thursday, well, it started Wednesday night, was a headache 8/10.  And I'm thankful it wasn't a Chiari headache, but it had me in bed for 30 out of 36 hours... and I only got up Friday when I did so I could go to physio.  I was fortunate that by then the headache had disappeared, but it took a lot out of me.  Like a limp rag doll I made it through physio and then took my husband out for lunch - his 39th birthday.  I just hate days like that.  I'm through the pain, but I'm still utterly exhausted and could use another day of rest.  Physio is helping my range of motion, but so far not my pain - which is still very intermittent.  Bee is still convinced it is a brachial plexus injury.  And from my reading, I'm inclined to agree.

This coming Thursday my head and body need to co-operate (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) as I have an 8:30 appointment at the fracture clinic with my orthopaedic surgeon, a 3:30 appointment with my family dr. to review what the ortho said and my return to work (or not) plan.  And I'm meeting up with up to 3 other Chiari sisters Thursday night for tea.  I'm going to be good on Wednesday so I can hopefully have an excellent Thursday.

By good, I mean not a day like today where I completely overdid it and knew I would before I even got started.  I wanted to get some stuff done around the house.  I have a long list of stuff I need to do and got through a couple of things today.  My house is not quite a mess, but it's untidy right now and it is driving me crazy.  So after my walk and breakfast I undertook cleaning the kitchen.  I cleaned the toaster oven we borrowed from my mother-in-law while our toaster was shipped back to Cuisinart for repair.  (Got me a brand new toaster delivered yesterday!! Good customer service at least!!)  So, wipe out the inside, and get out the stainless steel polish for the outside.  Well, I have the stainless polish out, might as well clean the face of the dishwasher.  Oh, there's smutz on the cupboard.... grab the magic eraser.  Oh geez, look at the fridge.... wipe that down too.  And OMG, look at the countertop - scrub, wipe, dry.  And the sinks - how did they ever get so filthy??  Scrub brush, stainless cleaner, rinse, wipe.... repeat on sink # 2. All sparkly and shiny.  The oven?? Nope, can't face cleaning the oven today, even if it is self cleaning  No, I didn't wash the fry pan.  I left it sitting on the stove.  PFFFFTTTTT!!!!! It can wait for Sunday morning.

By then I was tired and my shoulder was on fire, but only 2 or 3 / 10.  Not major pain, yet.  I sat down to take a break. Hubby went to his mom's with the shiny toaster oven.  I took a look at the aquarium across the room... OMG I can't see the fish!!  Poor fishies haven't had their home cleaned since before my brain surgery.... That'd be almost 4 months ago!  Or more likely over 4 months ago.  I'm surprised everyone hasn't gone belly up on me!   I got the buckets and drain line upstairs and proceeded to drain the tank as far as is safe, half a bucket at a time so at least I could carry it!  About 2 gallons at a time. Ugh, carrying is still not good.  I pulled out most of the plants and ornaments, filter, heater, thermometer, and about 1/2 of the stones.  Everything needed a good cleaning.  I'm surprised the filter hadn't packed in it was so full of algae.  Hubby came home in time to help me move the stand and tank and then refill it.  Thank goodness.  I was exhausted and my shoulder was singing soprano by the time the water was drained, not to mention the scrubbing and wiping and drying and cleaning everything thereafter!!  And then I had to re-clean the sinks and wipe down the counters again with tea tree oil cleaner - don't want any bacteria in the fish tank or on my food later!  I always clean the sinks before and after I clean the aquarium.   

My tank looks awesome now!! So I treated myself to a trip to the pet store to celebrate my clean tank.  I bought myself a new dwarf frog - Alfie, a bright red Betta - Hell Boy, and 5 black neons.  I don't name the neons and tetras because I cannot tell them apart.  It's just a 20 gallon tank, but I do enjoy my fishies.  I've had the tank nearly 12 years now and it's time to upgrade - the life of a tank is usually 8 years.  So now we have to decide if we want to stay with the 20 or go bigger.   Bigger tanks are easier to maintain.  But when it comes to cleaning day, it will take me longer.  A full clean takes me about 4 hours.  Today I took about 2.5 hours.  So, not a full clean.  And my shoulder singing in a pitch to break your finest lead crystal....  Don't think I'll be getting a bigger tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment