Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Trial and Error

I'm trying to see what I can do or can't do, a little at a time.  I have to start somewhere, so starting with small things around the house is a good place I guess.

Things like laundry - the husband brings it to the basement for me and I can manage to put it in the washer and dryer, then fold it.  Not bad.

I manage to make dinner most of the time by myself, although I get frustrated sometimes that I'm always doing it by myself.... But it's done, we're fed.  But I leave the pots to be washed the next morning... more for the sake of my shoulder than anything.  My shoulder is so bad that making supper then doing dishes is out of the question.

Still not doing housework per say, but I do wipe down the sinks and toilet, load and unload the dishwasher.  But I will not pull out the vacuum - my shoulder won't have it.  And scrubbing the tiles or the tub I know will be a little to much to handle.

I still haven't gone for a drive yet.  My neck is still pretty tight.  I move it every day so that I can teach the muscles to move again, but I don't want to be driving and in a situation where I have to react quickly and not be able to turn my head!!

Today's test - staying up all day.  No lying down.  No nap.  Just my regular Tylonel and ibuprofen for meds.  I need to know if I can manage it.  Tomorrow will be 6 weeks post op.  And at the end of the month I have to go back to Toronto for my follow up with Dr. Gentili - that will be a 20 hour day with flights there and back.  I need to know that if I stay up all day I'm not going to suffer too much for it tomorrow.  Let's hope I don't suffer for it tomorrow!! 

Yesterday my mum wanted to go raspberry picking.  So I joined her.  But we didn't find any raspberries.  So we went for a short drive to another location.  And still no luck - lots of plants, no fruit.  One last stop and we were going to head home... we didn't find any raspberries but wholly chokecherries!! My mum was in heaven!!  So in a little over an hour we picked 2 full 2 quart baskets.  Enough to juice for between 5 and 6 cups of juice!  And we plan to go back on Saturday - lots of red berried left to ripen for the week.  Mum will make up some chokecherry jelly - yum!!  So a pretty normal activity for a summer morning - and I did get tired, but I was traipsing through the brush for berries!  And I needed a nap when I came home... after a shower!

So I'm trying to get back to normal... whatever the new normal is.

No comments:

Post a Comment