Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pushed Back - Again

I don't even have the words to express how I feel right now.  I called Dr. Gentili's office on April 20th to make sure I am a priority on the May surgery booking list.  Dr. Gentili and I had an e-mail back and forth before that how I didn't make the cut for the April bookings and I was now priority for May. 

I hadn't heard anything so I called and left a voicemail with his office this morning.  His receptionist called me at work to tell me that I wasn't on the May list.  I'm gutted.  I have no emotions left.  I'm sitting here (at work on my lunch break) with tears in my eyes.  I can't stop the tears.  I am disappointed.  I'm dispondent.  I don't care about anything.  It's depressing to think I have to wait another 30 days to find out if I'll make the June list.  I asked the receptionist about the delay and she said there were patients waiting a long time to have surgery.  To which I replied I wrote to Dr. Gentili on January 16th to go ahead and book me.  She only replied "oh, I'll have to speak to him". 

I just want my date.  I don't care if it's a month from now, but can't they look ahead at their schedule and go - hey, [insert date] is open, stick Ms. Elvish in and let her know! But no.  Nothing. Nada. Zip.  Not gonna happen.  They are going to leave me waiting and waiting and waiting while my symptoms progress and my life waits on hold.  I have no quality of life.  I work, walk and go to yoga.  I can't do housework or yard work, carry laundy, go for groceries or do much without triggering a headache.  And that includes crying.  So, now I have a headache to top off my wonderful phone call this morning... great.

I might e-mail Dr. Gentili later, once I've thought this through, and ask if there is anyone else in Toronto Western who he would be comfortable to refer me to that would be able to do the surgery soon than he can.

I've reached despiration....

6 comments:

  1. OMeffinG! I am so upset for you! I don't even know what to say. I know hard how it is to find a good Chiari surgeon, so I don't even have a recommendation of what you should do. WTH! How can they keep pushing you back? This is infuriating!!!! *hugs* =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. is he a chiari expert ? Make sure he is a chiari expert . do you have any kind of paperwork stating your surgery scheduled for may. there is a big list of other canada drs on wacmac

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is the list:
    CANADA

    Dr. Rudolph Arts
    Neurologist
    Barrie, Ontario
    (ph) 705.721.1060

    Dr. Paul Muller
    Chief of Neurosurgery
    St. Michael's Hospital
    Toronto, Ontario
    (ph) 416.864.5590

    Dr Hurlbert
    Neurosurgeon
    Foothills Hospital
    Calgary, AB, Canada

    Dr. Rutka
    Neurosurgeon
    Sick Children's Hospital
    Toronto, Ontario

    Dr. Ramesh Sahjpaul
    Neurological Sciences
    339 Windermere Road,
    London, Ontario N6A 5A5
    (ph) 519.663.3706
    (fax) 519.663.3753

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is terrible! Can't you just tell him that your symptoms have gotten worse and you feel you need immediate attention? I hate DR.s like that. It looks like Dr. Muller might be the one to try and get in touch with. I was told that when I was experiencing a terrible chiari headache to go to the ER where the neurosurgeon that I wanted was on call. It got so bad that I had a very bad headache a couple of times, and called the ER, but the Dr. I wanted wasn't working that day. Then just when he was, I got a call confirming an appointment. I decided not to pay the ER money and just wait. Now I am 4 weeks and 5 days away from decompression.
    God speed, and god bless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr Arts and Dr Miller have retired

    ReplyDelete