Thursday, November 25, 2010


Well, Happy Thanksgiving to my American readers... Enjoy your turkey drunk today and shopping frenzy tomorrow!  Wish I could be in the States shopping... but not in the crowds!  I love our shopping trips to the US.  We usually stock up on all of the nom noms that I can't buy here.  The selection of soy based products here is very limited.  There is one store which sells soy yoghurt. I can get soy milk and almond milk easily enough, but other delicacies aren't as easy to find.  Like soy ice-cream that actually tastes good... Soy cheese, dairy free foods in general... Love shopping at Whole Foods in Duluth!!

I went to the dentist for the first time today since my decompression.  I'm just happy it's been 5 months since my surgery!  The little jerks and movements during the cleaning would have been really unbearable before now.  My hygienist was really good about not moving me into any hyper-extended positions.  Everything was good.  I have a bit of a stiff neck and mild headache now, but I usually have a headache after lying on my back with my mouth stretched beyond the limits of the tendons.  And this afternoon I get to go to the orthodontist - I broke one of the permanent retaining wires - two dental professionals in one day - LUCKY ME!  :P

Mum and I went to see Mamma Mia on Monday night.  Now, if you're a 70s child - which I am; you were brought up in a house filled with music day in day out - which I was; and you knew every ABBA song by the time you were 8 - which I did; this is the show for you!! And, even if you vaguely know who ABBA is, enjoy an excellent live musical theatre show, then get your butts to the box office when it's in your neighbourhood!! It was phenomenal.  The singing, the choreography, the storyline, the comedy... all top notch.  It was so much fun.  It was my first "loud" event since my surgery, and despite clapping and tapping my foot all night, singing along and standing for a good 8 minute ovation, I didn't feel bad on Tuesday - stiff and a little tired, but NO headache!!  I couldn't go to events before my surgery for the last while... shags (aka Doe and Buck, Jack and Jill, pre-wedding social - NOT the British shag), concerts, conventions, etc... the noise and the crowds were way too much for me to handle.  I'd have a headache for days. So, I was very happy to have such a wonderful time and NOT spend the next few days suffering for it.  
Still working hard work-hardening... About 4 hours a day most days.  I see gains and I have set-backs, but all in all, I think I'm doing well.  My physiotherapist did some more assessing and testing yesterday and it is still indicating a nerve issue - especially in the radial nerve.  Only 5 days until I see the orthopaedic surgeon for the neck and head MRI results and HOPEFULLY a diagnosis.  I cannot shovel snow, carry much, scrub the bathtub, but in time I hope I will have the strength and range of motion to be able to do so again.  Not that I miss scrubbing the bathtub ;P  (wishing this blog had smilies available...)
Now, off to the orthodontist... 

No comments:

Post a Comment